Arizona FIRST LEGO LeagueFIRST LEGO League's three divisions inspire youth to experiment and grow their critical thinking, coding, and design skills through hands-on STEM learning and robotics.
The grade levels are provided as an approximate bracket for the age groups.
- FIRST LEGO League Discover: Ages 4-6 or grades PreK-1st
- FIRST LEGO League Explore: Ages 6-10 or grades 2nd-4th
- FIRST LEGO League Challenge: Ages 9-14 or grades 4th-8th
When registering a team, please note that there are two necessary steps: registering with FIRST, which provides your challenge mat; and registering with Arizona FIRST LEGO League, which includes your tournament fee.
Registering with FIRST
To register your team with FIRST and compete this season, you will need to have two coaches with completed background checks and each participant must have a consent and release form signed by their parent or guardian. On the FIRST Dashboard, there will be options for completing your background registration free-of-charge through a third party. After submitting, it takes approximately two days for this to update on your dashboard. Once this is complete, you will be able to send requests to parents and guardians to complete their student’s consent and release forms. For more information on this process, please see the FIRST website.
Registering with Arizona FIRST LEGO League
In order to officially participate and compete as a FIRST® Lego® League team, be sure to pay both your FIRST® and Arizona FIRST® Lego® League fees.
- Payments to FIRST® (the $225 registration fee) is made payable to FIRST, not Arizona State University.
- Qualifying tournament fees are paid for through ASU’s Aventri account. ASU accepts both credit cards and check. If you are paying with check, please have the check addressed to Arizona State University and mailed to the address below.
Arizona State University
Attn: Laura Grosso
P.O. Box 875506
Tempe, AZ 85287-2611
Several items are also required for competition:
- LEGO® EV3 or SPIKE Prime Robot Kit, which can be purchased at any time and is reused from season-to-season. You will notice, however, that there are several options for the robot: the LEGO MINDSTORM EV3 Education Set, MINDSTORM Retail Set, and SPIKE Prime set. Any of these versions are acceptable to compete with; however, the EV3 education set with comes equipped with additional software and sensors that the retail set does not have. You are able to add those items separately at a later date if you choose to start with the retail version. Please visit the LEGO website for information about purchasing a kit.
- Challenge Kit, which includes the season’s challenge materials. These are included with your season registration fees, and a new kit will be sent each year that you register. The kit will automatically be sent to the mailing address listed on your FIRST® account.