Step 1: Registering with FIRST® LEGO® League
- Create an account with FIRST® by following the link https://firstinspires.org. Be sure to submit your background screening; otherwise, you cannot register as a coach.
- Invite a secondary coach. Make sure they accept the invitation email from FIRST® and complete the background screening process. This person only needs to be present in case of the primary coach’s absence.
- Pay the team registration fee through FIRST®. See the pricing details here.
FIRST® in Texas has provided a series of two walkthroughs on how to create and register a team with FIRST®. These videos can be found below:
Step 2: Registering for an Arizona FIRST® LEGO® League Qualifier
Qualifying events are where your team first competes. If you team advances from the qualifying stage, you will be able to attend the state championship in January. Teams may only register for one qualifying tournament per season.
- Visit the tournaments page to decide which event works best for your team’s schedule. Events are held on Saturdays starting from 8:30 am to 5 pm.
- Visit the Aventri site and enter your team information. If the event you are hoping to attend is full, first select your alternative qualifier, then add yourself to the waitlist for your primary qualifier. You will also pay your $95 tournament fee on this page.
- Once registration is complete, be sure you receive a confirmation email. If not, please email ArizonaFLL@asu.edu to verify your registration.
In order to officially participate and compete as a FIRST® Lego® League team, be sure to pay both your FIRST® and Arizona FIRST® Lego® League fees. Payments to FIRST® (the $225 registration fee) is made payable to FIRST, not Arizona State University. Qualifying tournament fees are paid for through ASU’s Aventri account. ASU accepts both credit cards and check. If you are paying with check, please have the check addressed to Arizona State University and mailed to the following address:
Arizona State University
Attn: Laura Grosso
P.O. Box 875506
Tempe, AZ 85287-2611
Several items are also required for competition:
- Lego® EV3 Robot Kit, which can be purchased at any time and is reused from season-to-season. You will notice, however, that there are two options for the robot. The LEGO MINDSTORM EV3 Education Set and the MINDSTORM Retail Set. Both versions are acceptable to compete with, however, the education set with comes equipped with additional software and sensors that the retail set does not have. However, you are able to add those items separately at a later date if you choose to start with the retail version. Please visit the Lego website for information about purchasing a kit.
- Challenge Kit, which includes the season’s challenge materials. These are included with your season registration fees, and a new kit will be sent each year that you register. The kit will automatically be sent to the mailing address listed on your FIRST® account.
Learn about more Fulton Schools Outreach Opportunities: