Start a Team
Starting a FIRST team has countless impacts on both your community and school: 89 percent of youth surveyed have an increased interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM); and students graduate from the program with hands-on experience in problem solving and engineering. As a coach, you are the key ingredient in the success of your team. Your contribution to the success of FIRST programs and ultimately to the success of FIRST is immeasurable. Who are FIRST mentors and coaches? Our team members say it best. A mentor/coach:
- Can be a person of any age, teaching others what they know
- Brings either technical or non-technical expertise to the team
- Provides the opportunity for students to learn directly through experiences
There are never any “per student” fees for starting a team with FIRST and Arizona FIRST LEGO League. Additionally, we believe that teams should not be restricted due to lack of resources. Fundraising ideas are posted on our website and teams are also encouraged to create their own tailored to their community. Grants and scholarships are available locally, regionally, and nationally by many corporations and organizations, including LEGO Education and FIRST.
For more information about starting a team, please see the appropriate section for your age group. The grade levels are provided as an approximate bracket for the age groups.
- FIRST LEGO League Discover: Ages 4-6 or grades PreK-1st
- FIRST LEGO League Explore: Ages 6-10 or grades 2nd-4th
- FIRST LEGO League Challenge: Ages 9-16 or grades 4th-8th
When registering a team, please note that there are two necessary steps: registering with FIRST, which provides your challenge mat; and registering with Arizona FIRST LEGO League, which includes your tournament fee.
Registering with FIRST
FIRST in Texas has provided two videos on how to create and register a team with FIRST.
Registering for an Event
FIRST LEGO League Discover
We are currently working on the structure of Discover this season, check back for updates soon!
FIRST LEGO League Explore
We are currently working on the structure of Explore this season, check back for updates soon!
FIRST LEGO League Challenge
Qualifying events are where your team first competes. If you team advances from the qualifying stage, you will be able to attend the state championship in January. All qualifiers will be hosted remotely for the 2020-2021 RePLAY season.
- Visit the tournaments page to decide which event works best for your team’s schedule. Because each event will be held remotely, the schedule for events will be released at a later date.
- Visit the Aventri site and enter your team information. If the event you are hoping to attend is full, first select your alternative qualifier, then add yourself to the waitlist for your primary qualifier. You will also pay your tournament fee on this page.
- Once registration is complete, be sure you receive a confirmation email. If not, please email ArizonaFLL@asu.edu to verify your registration.
Payment Options for Arizona FIRST LEGO League
In order to officially participate and compete as a FIRST® Lego® League team, be sure to pay both your FIRST® and Arizona FIRST® Lego® League fees.
- Payments to FIRST® (the $225 registration fee) is made payable to FIRST, not Arizona State University.
- Qualifying tournament fees are paid for through ASU’s Aventri account. ASU accepts both credit cards and check. If you are paying with check, please have the check addressed to Arizona State University and mailed to the address below.
Arizona State University
Attn: Laura Grosso
P.O. Box 875506
Tempe, AZ 85287-2611
Several items are also required for competition:
- Lego® EV3 Robot Kit, which can be purchased at any time and is reused from season-to-season. You will notice, however, that there are two options for the robot. The LEGO MINDSTORM EV3 Education Set and the MINDSTORM Retail Set. Both versions are acceptable to compete with, however, the education set with comes equipped with additional software and sensors that the retail set does not have. However, you are able to add those items separately at a later date if you choose to start with the retail version. Please visit the Lego website for information about purchasing a kit.
- Challenge Kit, which includes the season’s challenge materials. These are included with your season registration fees, and a new kit will be sent each year that you register. The kit will automatically be sent to the mailing address listed on your FIRST® account.