Challenge | Core Values
Core Values are the cornerstone of the FIRST LEGO League programs. By embracing core Values, participants learn that friendly competition and mutual gain are not separate goals, and that helping one another is the foundation of teamwork. The FIRST philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition are expressed through six pillars:
- Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
- Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
- Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
- Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
- Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
- Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
When entering a Core Values judging session, note that each session will begin with a unique activity. This will last approximately five minutes; afterwards, teams can begin a formal core values presentation.
What to Bring
Teams are encouraged to bring a visual aide that highlights how each of the six core values are accomplished, as well as unique features about the team. The visual aide can take many forms; teams are encouraged to be creative with their presentation!
- What was the most surprising thing you learned this season?
- Which aspect of FIRST LEGO League did your team like best? Least?
- How did your team decide which aspect of FIRST LEGO League to do first?
- How did your team decide its name?
- What does your team do when it’s having a bad day?
- How does your team share with others your excitement and enthusiasm?
- Who can give me an example of a way they used a FIRST Core Value this year on their own, away from their team?
- What were your team goals this season? How did you device on your team goals?
- What do you do when your group doesn’t agree?
- If we gave your team one more week to work together, how would you use it?
- How did you decide who would do each role?
- What would your team do if you didn’t have a coach?
- How does your team decide which ideas they will pursue?
- How do you make someone feel valued when you talk to them?
- If you saw something happening to another team and thought it wasn’t fair, what would you do and why?