National Summer Transportation Institute
Are you an Arizona high school student interested in learning more about engineers and how they impact our world and society? The National Summer Transportation Institute will engage you in projects and field trips that demonstrate how engineers plan and maintain our systems of transportation around the state of Arizona. As an NSTI participant you will live on campus for one week while interacting with ASU engineering faculty and students, engaging in transportation-related virtual visits, and completing field work related to maintaining safe, sustainable, and efficient transit. This program is FREE and is designed for highly accomplished and motivated students.
This program is funded in partnership with the U.S. Federal Highway Administration and the Arizona Department of Transportation.
- Must be an Arizona resident
- Must be entering grades 11 or 12 in fall 2022
- Minimum unweighted GPA: 2.5
BEFORE beginning this application, please have the following information ready.
- Your unweighted cumulative GPA
- Your most current unofficial transcripts
- A letter of recommendation from a high school math or science teacher on school letterhead
- A one-page letter of interest explaining
- Why you are a good fit for the program
- What you hope to learn from the experience
Accepted students can choose to participate during one of the following weeks:
- Week 1: June 5 – June 10, 2022
- Week 2: June 12 – June 17, 2022
Application for Summer 2022 opens on February 1, 2022.